Will Dyson on Fri, 11 Jan 2002 01:04:36 -0500

Re: [PLUG] mkisofs question

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

I note that no one has pointed out that there is no way to have long
file names on an ISO-9660 CD show up if you are using Mac OS earlier
than a certain version. (I think the first to support it was 8.1, but
don't quote me on that. When support was added, though, it included
RR extensions.)

You can create a hybrid HFS/ISO-9660 cdrom. Quoteing from the mkisofs manpage:

===
If Joliet or HFS hybrid command line options are specified, mkisofs will create additional filesystem meta data for Joliet or HFS. The file content in this case refers to the same data blocks on the media. It will generate a pure ISO9660 filesystem unless the Joliet or HFS hybrid command line options are given.

mkisofs can generate a true (or shared) HFS hybrid filesystem. The same files are seen as HFS files when accessed from a Macintosh and as ISO9660 files when accessed from other machines. HFS stands for Hierarchical File System and is the native file system used on Macintosh computers.

===

--
Will Dyson
"It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom. Keep that in mind at all times." -Bill Hicks