William Shank on Fri, 11 Jan 2002 16:10:18 +0100

RE: Mac OS X (was: Re: [PLUG] <compumike:#plug> dude debian rocks !)

 did you mean: "You can NOT just run a Sparc Solaris binary and expect it to
work" ?

-----Original Message-----
From: gabriel rosenkoetter
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: 1/11/02 9:45 AM
Subject: Mac OS X (was: Re: [PLUG] <compumike:#plug> dude debian rocks!)

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 10:40:36PM -0400, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> Is there any truth to the rumor that OS x lets you run native OS X
> programs, older Mac programs in "classic" mode, Window programs in
> classic mode with the virtual windows emulator, and unix programs due
> the BSD "chassis"?

Except for VirtualPC working in "classic" mode (which I've never
seen because I don't have a copy of VirtualPC) all of those things
are truths, not rumors. (The Unix end of it will require source, of
course. You can just run a Sparc Solaris binary and expect it to
work.)

I would expect VirtualPC to work, of course, but I haven't seen it
happen.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net