gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 14 Jan 2002 07:50:21 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Remote X

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 11:40:51PM -0500, Samantha Samuel wrote:
> Both the client and the Xserver are running Linux. I am on an intranet,
> where I am connected to a Win2k server. I go online through the win
> machine. And traffic is re-routed thataway to me. I want to connect to
> the linux x server.

Then try what I suggested, which was, from the prompt on your local
machine:

  ssh -X -f <remote linux host> <x program>

ssh should return your shell after setting up a connection, then
you'll have to wait a bit, and the X window should pop up.

If you get error messages in the terminal, please post them.

Inspecting /var/log/messages on the server for relevant error
messages will probably help too.

> The win2k box is just a router.

As long as it passes TCP/IP connections properly and is blocking
neither port 22 outgoing nor 6000 + a few incoming, the above should
work.

> Is that possible(getting x up on my machine)? This is about as best I can
> explain it.

Are you already running an X server on your local machine? If not,
then you will need to configure that first.

> That is what I did do, but it doesn't work because of the rerouting bit.
> I am on a local internet, therefore my ipnumber (thus the server name is
> not recognised) is of a class c network:
>  i.e 192.168.0.2

Ah, then your Win2k box is not actually a proper router. It should
be keeping state on the outgoing connection well enough to know that
the response should be routed to your internal IP address.

I can't help you fix a Win2k router.

But I'm not convinced that's actually the problem. What error
message do you see in your terminal on the local Linux machine? In
/var/log/messages on the remote host?

> That would be the client program for networking (for windows).

Yes, there are a variety of PPPoE implementations on Linux. Imho,
PPPoE isn't something you ever want to deal with. If Verizon will
let you use your own DSL modem, then go buy one that hides this
garbage from you. It'll make your life much easier. (A variety of
companies sell these... Netgear, Linksys, so forth. Many of them
include a built-in 4- or 8-port hub and some times a wireless base
station as well. You probably don't need all that.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net