gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 14 Jan 2002 02:00:18 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Remote X

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 04:16:14PM -0500, Samantha Samuel wrote:
> I am trying to get remote x on my box, but I am behind a firewall. The
> server (internal) is a Win2k Pro. I read one doc on how to set up remote x
> but I did not see anything on how to do so by re-routing ips.

Wait... you're going to have to clarify what you're trying to do
here.

What operating system is running on the machine you want to be the X
server? And on the machine you want to be the client? And the
firewall is placed how between them?

If you actually do mean that you have an X11 server running on Win2k
(I was unaware that was possible), then I'm not sure what you want
to do is possible.

If you meant that you had an X11 server running on a Unix-like
operating system, then all you'd need to do (presuming you have ssh
installed) is this:

  ssh -X -f X11.server.name <X program> &

> Another thing. I connect using Verizon's winpoet. Is there a version
> available for Linux?

What's winpoet's functionality? (I don't know the name, but if you
tell us what it does, we can probably tell you something that does
the same thing under Linux.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net