Bill Jonas on Sun, 13 Jan 2002 19:57:56 -0500

Re: [PLUG] where to buy on line?

On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 02:51:38AM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> The Sun end wants a DIN 9 (like a Mac). The other end can be what
> you want (like, say, DB 9, which a PC wants; I have several DIN 9 to
> DB 9 cables because I frequently my Thinkpad as a serial consoles for
> PowerPC macs; they're inexpensive).

Actually, a DB-25 ought to work.  The lunchbox form-factor (IPC, IPX)
SPARCs require a DIN connector; generally, the pizza-box SPARCs just
need a DB-25.  I just looked at a non-functional SPARC 2 that I have,
and it has two separate DB-25F connectors for ttyA and ttyB.  On my
SPARC 10, it has a single DB-25F connector for both A and B.  (For those
that don't know, the unused pins are used to provide the second serial
port.  If you want to use the second serial port, you must get a special
connector (or make your own) that will "split" the port.)  The connector
on the cable, of course, would be a DB-25M.  PC end, you'd probably want
a DB-9F connector.

Anyhow, I don't own a SPARC 4, so I could be totally wrong, but the
picture at http://www.obsolyte.com/sunPICS/sparc20/sparc4.jpg seems to
confirm my suspicions.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html