Bill Jonas on Tue, 15 Jan 2002 05:40:17 +0100

Re: [PLUG] webcams for linux?

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 04:59:27PM -0500, kevin mudrick wrote:
> About 6 months ago, I went out and bought a (cheap, like $15 new)
> webcam I got the D-Link DSB-C100 (USB), which uses the OV511 chip.
> that works under linux.

Ditto here, except I think I got sometime before you and paid a little
more.

> Kernel Modules can be downloaded from the link below.  It worked okay
> for me, I guess what I'd expect for such a cheap price, until I
> dropped it.  Now half of the "picture" is blurred out.

Same thing happened to me.  Except I think I upgraded the kernel but
didn't rebuild the module.  (For those that don't know, the code in the
kernel is not the most recent.)

> http://alpha.dyndns.org/ov511/
>
> Theres a list of supported OV511-based cameras there, too.

For the original poster: You definitely want to use the code at the
above URL and not rely on the driver that comes with the kernel because
the support is much better.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html