Chris Beggy on Tue, 15 Jan 2002 04:40:16 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Network Troubles

"Adam Van Antwerp" <avanantwerp@princetelecom.com> writes:

> Hello All,
>       I have here a Linux box that has one network card in it.  It accesses
> the internet through a Linksys Router setup through DHCP, it also accesses a
> private T1 to another office location.

So you're multihomed, cool!

> I can not get it to access both at
> the same time or make it usable for end users.

OK, you *want* to be multihomed.

> I tried a static route but
> this prevented access to both the internet and private T1.

Just *a* static route?  Um, so you were running routed or gated,
that didn't work, so you tried static routing?  That should work.
Or you were running dhcpclient, turned that off and tried a
static routing?  That should work, too.

> The Cisco Router
> also does DHCP but will only let users connect with a specific IP that is in
> its DHCP scope, very confused.....Any Advice is very welcome.

DHCP isn't a userland function.

It's reasonable to ask that you give details of the networks you
are trying to multihome and what you've tried so far.

What are the IP descriptions of the three (maybe four) networks involved?
How is IP traffic allowed to flow, what's public, what's private?
Which HOWTO's have you consulted?
What configurations have you tried?
What's your route -n when you run gated or routed?
What's your route -n when you get dhcp from router1?
What's your ifconfig output?
What's your route -n when you get dhcp from router2?
What's your ifconfig output?
What's your route -n with your handmade route?

Chris