Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 14 Jan 2002 19:50:16 +0100

[PLUG] backup woes

	Does any know what's going on here?

	I have a linux box (rh 6.2) connected to a server. I would like to
back up a partition of 40 GB to a 60 GB tape. I have a HP surestore tape
autoloader. When I try to run in stacker mode, it will not automatically
change tapes when it comes to the end of the tape. I don't know why.

OK, so I changed to random mode, then I made a script (next_tape) which is
called from dump via the -F option. next_tape just switches tapes via: "mt
offline". This does not work either.

In both cases, I'm stuck w/ a prompt asking me if I can change the tape.
When I do so manually, it still can not open up /dev/nst0. I can see why.
There are three processes running for /dev/nst0 on my console. I don't
know why. fuser /dev/nst0 says that two of them are trying to access the
tape drive at once. I try to kill one. This kills the whole dump. Now I
have to start over again.

Anybody have any ideas? We would like to perform a full backup so we can
do an upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

Fred