William Shank on Thu, 17 Jan 2002 18:50:19 +0100

[PLUG] Cable Modem Goes Out?

It seems that the box on the other end of my cable modem is inaccessible
between about 11-3 daily (for remote connections). I wonder if the box is
doing something - like indexing the disk (it's a really powerful machine)
and blocking requests or they are just timing out. Or, is comcast not
allowing traffic in during that time period? Is there a restriction on how
much data can go up stream from that box over a given period of time, and I
max it out early in the morning?

Does anyone know anything about how that network works and/or have had
similar problems? Also, since I use linux, I've never actually run the
windows configuration software - so I don't know the e-mail or dns
information (i'm using a known dns server). Does anyone know what these are?
that way I can check my @home email and see if they are sending me nasty
messages or something.

thanks

chris