William Shank on Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:09:26 -0500

RE: [PLUG] DNS Server?

 my question is: how can I find out what the network settings my computer
receives from dhcp? doesn't DHCP specify a DNS for lookups? how can I ind
out what it is?

-----Original Message-----
From: gabriel rosenkoetter
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: 1/21/02 1:47 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] DNS Server?

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 09:11:11AM -0500, Jon Nelson wrote:
> I know that Comcast technically uses DHCP, but you get a three month
lease on
> your IP.  Whenever I have set it up Comcast has always asked me to
input the
> information as if it were static.  Thanks to the demise of @home our
new
> domain will be comcast.net.  According to their whois then DNS servers
are
> 66.45.25.71 and 66.45.25.72.

The DNSes used to resolve comcast.net and the DNSes that Comcast
wants you, the user, to hit aren't necessarily the same thing.
(Actually, they're almost definitely NOT the same thing, if it's
anything like every ISP I've ever used. Which, admittedly, has never
been Comcast, or any other cable provider, but...)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net