William Shank on Mon, 21 Jan 2002 15:00:29 +0100

RE: [PLUG] Cable Modem Goes Out?

 Thanks for the response. My system goes down between 11am - 3pm on average,
but friday it was down until 2pm then again from about 3to5pm. It's very
annoying. Unfortunately, I'm not at home with the box when this occurs - i'm
trying to connect into it remotely, so I have no idea what the modem is
doing. But next time I'm home during that part of the day, i'm going to
check it.

chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Time
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: 1/19/02 2:35 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Cable Modem Goes Out?

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 12:38:59PM -0500, William Shank wrote:
> From: William Shank <wshank@mbcnet.com>
> To: "'plug@lists.phillylinux.org'" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
> Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 12:38:59 -0500
> Subject: [PLUG] Cable Modem Goes Out?
>
> It seems that the box on the other end of my cable modem is
inaccessible
> between about 11-3 daily (for remote connections). I wonder if the box
is

When you say 11-3 do you mean am or pm? When I was on the Willow Grove
router
when I still lived in Jenkintown the carrier service protocol (whatever
that
may be that feeds over the cable) would go out usually from 1am to 3am,
which
was an annoyance and prompted me to get DSL as it became available in my
area.

Since then I've moved and am now on the Norristown router in which case
(luckily) haven't had that trouble since.

Also,  when you say its inaccessible are all the lights on your
broadband
modem blinking steadily and simultaneously?  If so this is the exact
problem
I was having with my service.  I suggest you request a maintence visit
from
your provider and moke sure they read the strength of your signal (in
db's)
to see if your signal is over or under. Over will affect your modem
performance
just as much as under will.

> doing something - like indexing the disk (it's a really powerful
machine)
> and blocking requests or they are just timing out. Or, is comcast not
> allowing traffic in during that time period? Is there a restriction on
how
> much data can go up stream from that box over a given period of time,
and I
> max it out early in the morning?
>
> Does anyone know anything about how that network works and/or have had
> similar problems? Also, since I use linux, I've never actually run the
> windows configuration software - so I don't know the e-mail or dns

that software isn't necessary to run properly... its just a set of
automated
tools to help you debug the connection.

> information (i'm using a known dns server). Does anyone know what
these are?

your technical support rep can tell you this if you call them.

Good luck.

Regards,

Time

   13