Tobias DiPasquale on Mon, 21 Jan 2002 16:50:14 +0100

Re: [PLUG] spontaneous reboots?

In my experience, most often problems like that are due to a faulty
power supply. If you tested the power supply and didn't find a problem
with it's holding capacity I'd be pretty surprised. In this case, just
get a UPS. You can get them for not too much money from a catalog or on
the web. Stay away from Black Box, though. There stuff is too expensive.

If it is not the power supply, getting a UPS would still help, because
it would allow you to weather much longer periods of current drought. It
is not a cure-all. A four hour power outage will certainly still bring
your machines down, but a 20 minute power outage should be no problem.
Depends on the capacity UPS you buy and how much you want to spend. My
recommendation in either case is to get a UPS. They are a must for
critical systems.

On Mon, 2002-01-21 at 08:47, kevin mudrick wrote:

> hello,
>
> last week my machine (duron 800 running on an abit kt7-raid board,
> running debian unstable) spontaneously rebooted as i sat at my desk.  i
> usually leave my computer running 24/7, and this morning, I woke up to
> find it with no power.  hitting the power button on my case wouldn't power
> it up, but if i removed the power cable from the back, then put it back in
> and hit power, the computer started up.
>
> i'm assuming that this could be caused by one of two things:
> 1) a dying power supply
> 2) a spike in the lines in my house.
>
> does anyone have any ideas as to what i can do to figure out the problem?
> i'm assuming it isn't directly linux-related, but in the event that it is,
> are there any logs i should take a peek at?
>
> thanks,
> kevin
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>  (kevin mudrick)  (kevin@furhurts.com)  (www.bleachedwhale.com)
>  pgp key available at http://www.bleachedwhale.com/kevinGPG.asc
<< T o b i a s   D i P a s q u a l e >>
anany@ece.villanova.edu | tdipas01@villanova.edu | toby@khenry.com

"Bill Gates comes to visit SoftImage and during an employee Q/A someone
asks
'Since the Internet is all about free software, how come Microsoft is
still
charging for it?'"
 -- Adam Barr,
    __Proudly Serving My Corporate Masters__