LeRoy Cressy on Tue, 22 Jan 2002 07:35:30 -0500

Re: [PLUG] spontaneous reboots?

As already stated, it could be a bad power supply or it could be though
not likely, the motherboard.  On the ATX design when you hit the power
switch two jumpers are momentarilly shorted sending a signal to the
power supply to turn on.  This also allows you to connect your ethernet
card to a jumper on the mother board and activate wake on lan.  If you
have wake on lan set in the bios and a faulty connection there may be a
signal sent to the mother board for a reset which would be the same as
hitting the reset switch causing your system to reboot.

The simplest method to check the power supply is to check the output
voltage making sure that the power supply is supplying 5 and 12 volts
where appropriate.

kevin mudrick wrote:

> hello,
>
> last week my machine (duron 800 running on an abit kt7-raid board,
> running debian unstable) spontaneously rebooted as i sat at my desk.  i
> usually leave my computer running 24/7, and this morning, I woke up to
> find it with no power.  hitting the power button on my case wouldn't power
> it up, but if i removed the power cable from the back, then put it back in
> and hit power, the computer started up.
>
> i'm assuming that this could be caused by one of two things:
> 1) a dying power supply
> 2) a spike in the lines in my house.
>
> does anyone have any ideas as to what i can do to figure out the problem?
> i'm assuming it isn't directly linux-related, but in the event that it is,
> are there any logs i should take a peek at?
>
> thanks,
> kevin

>  (kevin mudrick)  (kevin@furhurts.com)  (www.bleachedwhale.com)
>  pgp key available at http://www.bleachedwhale.com/kevinGPG.asc