gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 24 Jan 2002 00:20:24 +0100

Re: [PLUG] PLUG website is now 100% Valid HTML, NO EXCEPTIONS

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 04:49:34PM -0500, Darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> I made the /isps/ archive valid.
>
> Pages Checked: 60
> Valid Pages: 60
> Total Errors: 0
>
> Heh.  Beat that.

Now, I'm all for standards compliance, and it's especially important
with HTML since the point of the standard is that the content will
degrade gracefully in browsers that don't implement everything...

BUT. I'd say something to be more proud of about the PLUG pages is
that they do contain useful content. Implementing all the pages
using absolutely correct HTML 4.0 is less important to me than
being able to read the relevant content in lynx, and I've been able
to do that with the PLUG pages since I first tried (and, I'd expect,
it's been possible since they went up).

None of this is to put your changes down, Darxus, just to keep
things in perspective. What pisses me off is not a lack of standards
compliance. An entirely compliant web page with nothing but an
embedded flash application pisses me off. A page that sets off lynx's
"bad HTML!" message and then delivers content I can read doesn't.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net