Anthony Locascio on Thu, 24 Jan 2002 14:20:17 +0100

Re: [PLUG] dhcp and comcast

Bill Jonas wrote:
On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 08:51:00AM -0500, Michael Whitman wrote:
So if any one has a helpful FAQ lemee know.  I run RH 7.1 and I  used
linuxconf to switch to DHCP but that didn't just work.

Well, I use OpenBSD to manage the connection. The provided DHCP client
is dhclient, which I presume is the canonical ISC program, somewhat
modified (according to the man page). The only active line I have in my
/etc/dhclient.conf is this:

send host-name "cnXXXXXX-a";

I know its odd but i never had to list this...... I had my own host name specified and it never caused a problem..  *shrug*

The "cnXXXXXX-a" is the hostname that you were provided when you called
them initially after you received your kit in the mail. It's also the
hostname portion of the FQDN that you get when you do a reverse lookup
of your IP address.

Basically, if whatever you're using allows you to specify a host name,
then specify it. If you can't, try different software.

As for the connection itself, it's just straight ethernet, no PPPoE.
You just get your IP and DNS configuration via DHCP.

SOOO do I need a third party utilty installed to run this?  Some people seem to be favoring adding in something (the something being of course different across the different distrobutions) and I am not sure what that is.

Anyway, thanks :)

Anthony