gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:08:21 -0500

Re: [PLUG] dhcp and comcast

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 08:09:44AM -0500, Anthony Locascio wrote:
> SOOO do I need a third party utilty installed to run this?  Some people
> seem to be favoring adding in something (the something being of course
> different across the different distrobutions) and I am not sure what
> that is.

What valid reasons have been given for extra software?

All you need to be a DHCP client host on any reasonable network is
DHCP client software, for which Debian uses dhclient and RedHat uses
pump. (I abhor the latter, but that's a personal preference.)

Whether or not Comcast's is a reasonable network is perhaps up for
debate, but if Windows and Mac OS (X?) DHCP client software works,
so should yours.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net