gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:05:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Debian and X

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 07:40:41AM -0500, christophe barbé wrote:
> I can't see real 'pro' to use a X Font Server. But I can see a few cons
> (per exemple ressource wasting).

The X font server (not to be confused with Irix's xfs nor Berkeley's
xFS, a network file system with distributed backing store) makes
sense if you've got a bunch of (mostly dumb) X terminals talking
to the same X server.

I agree with Christophe: it's worse than useless in a single-machine
set up. (It's far worse than a resource waste; it's a security
liability.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net