epike on Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:20:19 +0100

Re: [PLUG] opensource question

> Also, check out sourceforge.net. According to the latest Linux Journal (came
> in the mail yesterday), there were 29,253 projects hosted on sourceforge as
> of last November. I suspect that a good number of those projects have
> actually fallen inactive, though.
>
> You may want to search for existing similar projects and see if there's some
> overlap.
>
> Oh, and if the code is predominantly one or more Perl modules, there's also
> cpan.org (The Centralized Perl Archive Network - but you probably already
> knew that).
>
> -Jason

I have limited internet access (can't do it on daytime at the office)
but I did a quick browse on sourceforge  and there are lots of similar,
but different projects on jpg picture filing...the thing is a lot of them
concentrate on the presention later and not much on inputting of
files (i.e. it gets tiring to submit a file
from the digital camera to a web interface if yur dealing with
100's of them).

I dont frequent cpan and to tell the truth I'm sortof on & off
on perl since it wasnt my primary language (though im coming to
it again now).  There was a GD library which I used but my problem
was that it handled only 8-bit graphics.  Are you aware of
any JPG file manipluation or any graphic module in perl that
will do 24 bit JPG?  my programs are actually just scripts
that call the /usr/bin/pnm* command line picture manipulation
tools (and therefore inefficient).

E.Pike / JondZ