William Shank on Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:20:19 +0100

RE: [PLUG] Sorta OT, working with VCD and DVD players

 I'm just starting to get involved with this, I'd like to put home movies on
VCD and play in the DVD. However, I'm far from knowing much about it. Here
are a few links I've found. Please keep the list updated on your
discoveries.

http://www.linuxvideo.com
http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/tutorials/923/1/
http://www.nmt.edu/~kscott/video/
http://www.vcdimager.org/
http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2000/08/11/magazine/broadcast2000.
html

-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony Locascio
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: 1/24/02 8:26 AM
Subject: [PLUG] Sorta OT, working with VCD and DVD players

Hi list!

Lets see, I like to download stuff from the net.  Some of this stuff is
movies that come in the form of a .avi or a .mpeg or whatever.  I can
then put some of them to disc (others are simply too large) and others I

can watch directly on my computer.  (I have a 36 inch HDTV hooked up to
my computer)  But but but BUT, when I burn a said image to a disc, and
then proceed to run downstairs and try it in a standalone DVD player,
the player will not read the said disc.

What to do?

Is there a compability matrix out there for DVD players and VCD discs?
 Or should I just wait unitl everyone has a DVD burner and put the whole

image on that :P

I guess I am just curious if anyone is playing around with the same sort

of thing and has any solutions/work arounds

Later

Anthony