gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 24 Jan 2002 10:13:44 -0500

Re: [PLUG] dhcp and comcast

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 08:18:53AM -0500, Anthony Locascio wrote:
> ummm, so it seems from what you are saying (if I am reading it
> correctly) that the connection via DCHP will work without any additional
> configuration on my part.  Provided I change the settings that the tech
> guy said.  (Gateway, DNS, IP, Hostname, Netmask, etc) And then proceed
> to use the DCHP settings that are in the machine.  Get IP address via
> DCHP or something.  Is that correct?  Or am I getting something confused?

You needn't (and shouldn't) set any of that if their DHCP server
setup is even remotely clued.

*All* of your network information comes from the DHCP (well, BOOTP,
actually) response. Your machine need know nothing more than that
it's connected to an ethernet segment. It'll do a broadcast (to the
global broadcast address, 0xffffffff), which will yield a reply from
the DHCP server.

(Don't worry about broadcasting globally... you're doing it anyway
if you run a DHCP client and the router for your network would be
completely broken if it relayed that packet.)

> Whats wrong with Linuxconf?  :P  Suits my converted NON PROGRAMMING ass
> just fine!  Thanks you!!

Except that it has a history of doing things wrong and having a
horrendous interface. That may have changed, the last time I put up
with its wrong-headedness was trying to patch up a RH 6.2 system
that had been compromised, when it completely botched a variety of
changes in /etc.

It does not take a programmer to use a command line.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net