Tim Peeler on Wed, 23 Jan 2002 16:27:01 -0500

Re: [PLUG] dhcp and comcast

On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 03:48:18PM -0500, Anthony Locascio wrote:
> Is anyone using Redhat to work with comcast?
>
> They are switching me over on Feb first, fun, and I need a way to route
> to the network once its up.
>
> I was KINDA under the impression that they used PPPoE, but when I asked

No PPPoE, that's used with xDSL.

> the tech support guy that he, well, brain farted.  "Thats a teir two
> question"  I think is what he said.  har har

In other words: "I'm the guy that takes the heat and knows nothing."

> So anyway!
>
> Redhat!  Comcast!  Packet forwarding Masqin!  If anyone has any exp or
> insight feel free to chime in

I don't know if RedHat has man pages on it's config, but you might check
and see if there's anything on configuring /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-ethX

Also, since it seems your a linuxconf user, you might check to see if
there are any config options to send your hostname with the dhcp
request.  I believe redhat uses pump, so we know that (acording to
Geoff Rivell) at least version 0.8.11 will work with comcast, at
least on boot.

> Tootles
>
> Anthony
>
> Geoff Rivell wrote:
<snip>
> >I use pump from SID.  Here's how my /etc/network/interfaces looks like:
<snip>
> >It seems to require a reboot for every time I do ifdown eth0 ; if up eth0.
> >It just can't find it if I do that.  Works perfect upon reboot.

Tim

--

@a=(Lbzjoftt,Inqbujfodf,Hvcsjt); $b="Lbssz Wbmm"
;$b =~ y/b-z/a-z/ ; $c =" Tif ". @a ." hsfbu wj"