epike on Wed, 23 Jan 2002 16:15:39 -0500

Re: [PLUG] dhcp and comcast

> Is anyone using Redhat to work with comcast?
>
> They are switching me over on Feb first, fun, and I need a way to route
> to the network once its up.

I had a stable static IP connection with them for more than a
year (well its technically dhcp, but..) and theyre switching
me over to dhcp too this february.  I had a RedHat router/
gateway with 3 nics at one time but just installed a
linksys router/wireless access point last month; that simplified
my network since it allows me to tinker with my linux
box without hurting our home internet connection (my
wife uses VPN for logging into her office and everything
used to pass to the RH box, hence I couldnt even shut
it down to add a disk).  For a very long time that box was
running RH 6.2 patched with kernel VPN support, plus
the patch for the Promise Ultra 66 drivers; and I couldnt
touch it. the linksys router was a godsend.  Right now
I moved the RH6.2 box behind the firewall and I just
port-forward ports 80, 22 and 25 to it.

I had some trouble setting the linksys router the other
nite with DHCP but maybe I just have to enter the hostname;
will try again.  I will also have to install a dyndns.org client
updater thing into the RH box too, before Feb 1.  Oh yeah
theyre also changing my email account from myname@home.com to
myname@comcast.com or something.

JondZ / E.Pike