Tim Peeler on Thu, 24 Jan 2002 12:37:43 -0500

Re: [PLUG] dhcp and comcast

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 08:18:53AM -0500, Anthony Locascio wrote:
> ummm, so it seems from what you are saying (if I am reading it
> correctly) that the connection via DCHP will work without any additional
> configuration on my part.  Provided I change the settings that the tech
> guy said.  (Gateway, DNS, IP, Hostname, Netmask, etc) And then proceed
> to use the DCHP settings that are in the machine.  Get IP address via
> DCHP or something.  Is that correct?  Or am I getting something confused?

You just need to tell linuxconf that ethX is a dhcp connection and
what hostname to send with the request.  Everything else will be
taken care of by the dhcp client software.

> Whats wrong with Linuxconf?  :P  Suits my converted NON PROGRAMMING ass

I believe it was mentioned by Gabe, but linuxconf makes some horrible
decisions when using it for configuration.  Especially if you decide
to tweak something manually - it'll overwrite your changes.

> just fine!  Thanks you!!
>
> Actually I do know where the files are and how to edit them manually, i
> just feel safer in the GUI then in all that command line nonsense.

Another of the problems with linuxconf is that it makes you feel safer.
When you come from gui based configurators, it's nice to have a gui
based configurator.  The problem with that, is that it hides what's
going on in your system when you really should have some idea of
what is happening.

If I may offer some advice:  try to wean yourself off the gui configurator.
Find out how to setup the things you need setup by looking through the HOWTOs
(www.linuxdoc.org, /usr/share/doc/HOWTO).  When you do, you should see the
point we're trying to make about linuxconf.

--

@a=(Lbzjoftt,Inqbujfodf,Hvcsjt); $b="Lbssz Wbmm"
;$b =~ y/b-z/a-z/ ; $c =" Tif ". @a ." hsfbu wj"