gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 25 Jan 2002 09:50:14 +0100

Re: [PLUG] EXT2-fs error

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 12:39:50AM -0500, Samantha Samuel wrote:
> Old kernel was preserved. Reason I got new kernel was because new one has
> support for my network card. I have booted into old kernel, and no I
> didn't have random msgs popping up out of the blue.

Can you not load this network card support as a module? (Unfortunately,
that's not going to an option under NetBSD; LKMs exist as a kernel
programmer's aid for NetBSD, not so much as a user useable
functionality.)

> > > EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,6)): ext2_check_page: bad entry in directory
> > > #389387: rec_len is smaller than minimal - offset=0, inode=0, rec_len=0,
> > > name_len=0
> > Are you sure this isn't a hardware error?

The URL you posted led me to:

http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg.php3?msg_id=138311&list=35

... which suggests some plausible hardware-related causes.

But they're talking about (then) large machines with high-end SCSI
cards. That doesn't sound like it's what you're using.

Adding "Linux" and "2.4" may yield better results (though I didn't
see anyone describing the problem you're having with the kernel
you're running when I did so... but I didn't remember the exact
version of 2.4 you were using and I've deleted your original email).

> I don't know how I would find that out.

Do errors occur with another OS reading from the same partition?
(NetBSD, for instance, can mount ext2fs.) With an older kernel
version?

If not, then it's probably the kernel's fault and not the hardware's.
(Hope it hasn't trashed your file system, though.)

> I didn't want ext3 (yet) so I didn't get that support.

What do you mean by "didn't get that support"? Didn't configure it
into the kernel?

> Well when the installation asked me something about cylinders, and there
> was a number given as a default, which is what I went with, since my hard
> drive did not have any info on it (the website also didn't have anything).

But what does that have to do with the Linux portion of this?

The probed defaults are pretty likely to be correct for
NetBSD/i386's sysinst these days, especially on IDE disks.

Please tell me you didn't blow away important stuff in your MBR by
having NetBSD overwrite it. (Can you still boot both OSes? If so,
then you did it right.)

There's good documentation somewhere on the right way to deal with
both NetBSD and Linux (or, really, any two OSes) on the same disk,
but I can't dig it up at the moment. (You could use NetBSD's fairly
ugly mbr_bootsel, you could use a probably better-looking Linux
BIOS bootloader--note that that's NOT the same thing as lilo, or
you could use a third-party tool like grub. The last option is
probably the most eye-pleasing one, and sticking with something
like grub--that is, never letting either OS install its own boot
blocks-- is a good way to make sure that nobody's disk label gets
munged.)

If all you had NetBSD's sysinst do was stick its MBR label (169
these days... formerly 165, but it was changed to avoid confusion
with FreeBSD when things changed so that it wasn't possible to boot
either off the same partition) on an MBR partition other than your
Linux one, then you probably don't need to do any extra work. (Well,
till you'd like to have more than four partitions bootable, at
which point you run into the old "PC hardware sucks" problem.)

> I updated it. There is an unofficial debian apt sources mirror, which is
> where I upgraded it from.

Sure, fine, but did you install just the new kernel or also things
like /usr/include/sys/fs.h? Did you build your kernel against the
old or the new <sys/fs.h>? Did you rebuild (and install) a new
fsck? (Ideally this wouldn't be necessary, but if the definitions
for what lives in an ext2fs inode changed between your old and your
new kernel, it might be necessary to keep fsck from completely
shredding the partition. If this is the source of the problem, then
a new mount would make the complaints go away, probably.) Be aware
that I'm sort of grasping at straws on this one, since I don't
really know enough about ext2fs in general or your disk in
particular to tell you what these error messages mean.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net