Samantha Samuel on Fri, 25 Jan 2002 06:50:16 +0100

Re: [PLUG] EXT2-fs error

> > I compiled the Linux kernel 2.4.17 about 2 weeks ago. I noticed all kinds
> > of odd things happening, and I am wondering if someone can help.
>
> Did you preserve your old kernel? Have you tried going back to it?
> Do the problems persist?

Old kernel was preserved. Reason I got new kernel was because new one has
support for my network card. I have booted into old kernel, and no I
didn't have random msgs popping up out of the blue.

> > EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,6)): ext2_check_page: bad entry in directory
> > #389387: rec_len is smaller than minimal - offset=0, inode=0, rec_len=0,
> > name_len=0
>
> Are you sure this isn't a hardware error?

I don't know how I would find that out. I have all this running on a i586.
Hd is brand spanking new as is the tulip network card. Everything else is
old.

> Also, are you sure you're not trying to mount an ext2fs partition
> as ext3fs?

I didn't want ext3 (yet) so I didn't get that support.

> Not sure what part of that has to do with NetBSD, but I'm glad to
> help with any NetBSD problems you're having.

Well when the installation asked me something about cylinders, and there
was a number given as a default, which is what I went with, since my hard
drive did not have any info on it (the website also didn't have anything).

> Is it possible that this is a problem with having updated your
> kernel idea of file system stuff but not fsck's?

I updated it. There is an unofficial debian apt sources mirror, which is
where I upgraded it from.

> > When I did a search on google for this prob I noticed that 2.0.27
> > (among other kernels - 2.4.2?) also had the same prob, but I was not finding
> > a solution for fixing it.
>
> Could you point to some of the references you found? (It might help
> us understand what's going on here.)

www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/35/1996/12/0/114403

I did a search for EXT2-fs error.

--