gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 25 Jan 2002 19:06:23 +0100

Re: [PLUG] 2.4.17+ Kernel Webcams.

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 09:04:00AM -0500, Jaiwant Mulik wrote:
> So, does anyone have suggestion about which webcams to use with a 2.4.17+
> kernel ?

Does Connectix's QuickCam still exist as anyone's product? (I know
Connectix got bought out, but I don't remember by whom, or whether
they're still in business...)

Since it sounds like you don't mean "self-contained" by webcam (if
so, what would kernel version matter?), the Connectix (or whoever)
parallel port Color QuickCam is good about not being too smart for
its own good. Mine's always behaved well using cqcam (from
http://www.cs.duke.edu/~reynolds/cqcam/).

I'm not too sure how kernel version would have anything to do with
this. If it broke something, it would have to have broken the
interface with everything on that bus, which would mean userland
software needed a rewrite. Hopefully something like that would only
have been done for *really* good reasons...

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net