Jaiwant Mulik on Fri, 25 Jan 2002 19:30:23 +0100

Re: [PLUG] 2.4.17+ Kernel Webcams.

Hi,

Is http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1327076331
this the Connectix camera you have in mind ?

Yes, you are right, it is not the kernel version that really matter but
rather how the drivers are creating the device files. For example, the
cpia driver creates /dev/video and /dev/video0 while another one creates a
directory /dev/video underwhich you have several video_XX device files.

Unfortunately though this means that the some software that was hardcoded
to use one device does not now work ... but again that is not a kernel or
driver problem.

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 09:04:00AM -0500, Jaiwant Mulik wrote:
> > So, does anyone have suggestion about which webcams to use with a 2.4.17+
> > kernel ?
>
> Does Connectix's QuickCam still exist as anyone's product? (I know
> Connectix got bought out, but I don't remember by whom, or whether
> they're still in business...)
>
> Since it sounds like you don't mean "self-contained" by webcam (if
> so, what would kernel version matter?), the Connectix (or whoever)
> parallel port Color QuickCam is good about not being too smart for
> its own good. Mine's always behaved well using cqcam (from
> http://www.cs.duke.edu/~reynolds/cqcam/).
>
> I'm not too sure how kernel version would have anything to do with
> this. If it broke something, it would have to have broken the
> interface with everything on that bus, which would mean userland
> software needed a rewrite. Hopefully something like that would only
> have been done for *really* good reasons...
>
> --
> gabriel rosenkoetter
> gr@eclipsed.net

Jaiwant Mulik
Email        : jmulik@temple.edu (preferred), jmulik@acm.org
Home page    : http://unix.temple.edu/~jmulik
Location     : Netlab, Room 1043/1044, Wachman Hall.
Phones       : (215) 204-3197 (o), (215) 777-4828 (r), (215) 460-1125 (c)
Lekin woh zindagi he kya, jisme koi namumkin sapna na ho ?

I may climb perhaps to no great heights, but I will climb alone.
- Cyrano De Bergerac