Bill Patterson on Sun, 27 Jan 2002 03:40:13 +0100

[PLUG] changing IP address

I've been running my internet connection through a DI 704 Cable/DSL Internet
Gateway allowing it to choose my IP addresses dynamically.  I want to start
using static addresses.  This is because I am adding more computers than the
4 maximum that the DI704 can accomodate so I have grafted a 8-Port 10/100
Mbps Switching Hub onto one of the DI704's 4 ports.  I have been unable to
find out how to switch my computer(s) to a static address in the Linux books
that I have, so far.  (I could re-install Linux on the two older machines
that are just for knocking around, but that would be too easy, and too hard
for my main system that has too much on it to be re-installed.) Can anyone
show me the easiest way to do this?  Thanks.

Bill Patterson

BTW, two of the three machines are only installed as servers and do not have
a GUI.