Samantha Samuel on Sun, 27 Jan 2002 08:40:18 +0100

Re: [PLUG] EXT2-fs horror

disklabel o/p:

#/dev/wd0
type: unknown
disk: mydisk
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track:63
tracks/cylinder: 1008
cylinders: 16383
total sector: 78198750
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
headswitch: 0
track-to-track-seek: 0
drivedata:0

8 partitions:
# size       offset     fstyp    [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
 a: 238770   10249470   4.2BSD    1024   8192   16   # Cyl. 10168* - 10404
 b: 395136   10488240   swap                         # Cyl. 10405 - 10796
 c: 67949280 10249470   unused      0      0         # Cyl. 10168* - 77578

I am not sure what all this tells me. I see disklabel sees all my hd
partitions, but only lets me see the netbsd ones?

> you go trying to do that. (Incidentally, if you've made a separate
> NetBSD swap area, you're wasting some of your disk. No reason the
> two can't share a swap partition. There's no way they'd get confused

I was not aware that was possible.

> After seeing the output of both OS's fdisk, you are only overwriting
> Linux stuff with NetBSD stuff if Linux's fdisk actually starts
> counting at 0 instead of 1, despite claiming your sectors start at
> 1. But I'm pretty sure that Linux's fdisk just starts counting at 1.

So the problem lies in the fact that Linux can't count right? And that I
have a screwy file system?

> Istm that this has nothing to do with NetBSD and everything to do
> with your Linux 2.4 kernel either not dealing properly with ext2fs,
> with your IDE controller, or with your hard drive's on-board
> controller and DMA.

So if I get my fs right(plan on doing that with a boot cd), things should
work out ok? I have been flushing out buffers, and following other
suggestions. No probs noted during the last 24 hours.

--
Samantha
-------