Will Dyson on Sun, 27 Jan 2002 10:00:14 +0100

Re: [PLUG] debian stable & 2.4?

kevin mudrick wrote:

Hey,

I just got a new (well, old) pentium pro 200 box that I'm going to be
using as my in-house webserver and such.  I've installed debian potato on
it, but then when I went to install a new 2.4 kernel on it, I realized I
needed some packages upgraded.  Adrian Bunk used to have a debian site
setup where he offered updated potato packages that allowed you to upgrade
to 2.4, but, he has since quit debian, and taken the packages down too.

So.. I'm left with options.. Upgrade to woody, Wait until the packages
become available again, or see if I can manually find all those -bunk debs
somewhere.

What do you guys (and girls) think?  Should I just take the plunge with
woody?  I'm running sid on my desktop machine, but I get squeamish
thoughts at running a "testing" version on a box I kinda want to not break
and stuff..

First question is why do you need to use a 2.4 kernel? A single-processor webserver should do just fine with a recent 2.2 kernel.

Assuming that you do have a good reason (like wanting IPTables) for using 2.4, then I'd go ahead with woody. Actuall broken packages very rarely make it into testing, because of the 2-10 day waiting period before a new package can be moved from unstable into testing. The 2 big problems with woody are:

1) That waiting period applies even to urgent security updates (usually just 2 days though).

2) Frequently, a package will make it into testing, but some of its dependancies will not (as bugs are found and fixed in unstable, the waiting period starts over). You then find that you can't install or update that package. This problem can be worked around by allowing specific packages from unstable to be installed. Damned if I can find the description of how to do that, though.

--
Will Dyson
"It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom. Keep that in mind at all times." -Bill Hicks