Geoff Rivell on Sun, 27 Jan 2002 12:40:17 +0100

Re: [PLUG] debian stable & 2.4?

On Sunday January 27 2002 12:08, you wrote:

> I just got a new (well, old) pentium pro 200 box that I'm going to be
> using as my in-house webserver and such.  I've installed debian potato on
> it, but then when I went to install a new 2.4 kernel on it, I realized I
> needed some packages upgraded.  Adrian Bunk used to have a debian site
> setup where he offered updated potato packages that allowed you to upgrade
> to 2.4, but, he has since quit debian, and taken the packages down too.

Does it have to be Debian (I use this too).  Gentoo seems rock, and as a
bonus you get your apps compiled for your target system.
www.gentoo.org

I just started using it the other day (still compiling KDE :)

I never messed with Grub before this.  Glad I tried it.
Also has DevFS, which I like very much.

> What do you guys (and girls) think?  Should I just take the plunge with
> woody?  I'm running sid on my desktop machine, but I get squeamish
> thoughts at running a "testing" version on a box I kinda want to not break
> and stuff..

Then again, why not run Sid?  It will have the latest security fixes probably
before security has it.  And it hasn't been too unstable altogether.

Certainly nothing as low level as you'll be doing (i.e. you won't run KDE on
it will you?)

Good luck,

--
Geoff Rivell: http://nmc.sourceforge.net/