Chuck Peters on Sun, 27 Jan 2002 22:30:17 +0100

Re: [PLUG] debian stable & 2.4?

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, kevin mudrick wrote:

> > First question is why do you need to use a 2.4 kernel? A
> > single-processor webserver should do just fine with a recent 2.2 kernel.
>
> Actually, I would like to add a second processor to this machine soon..
>
> > Assuming that you do have a good reason (like wanting IPTables) for
> > using 2.4, then I'd go ahead with woody. Actuall broken packages very
>
> Well, honestly my reasons aren't that good ;)  iptables, the newer virtual
> memory stuff, ext3..

Second question: what else are you doing with the box?  For example is
this a production server or workstation.  I tend to lean toward caution
with production boxes and keep them as stable as possible.  The problem is
potato is getting so old for some things it seems like the fruit has
rotted so bad its falling off the tree.

You can get 2.4 and iptables with Libranet's potato/woody hybrid.

I am running a couple of woody and potato workstations with Ximian's Red
Carpet (Gnome, evolution, abiword and staroffice) with Libranet (a Debian
based distribution with Red Carpet, KDE and ReiserFS support) that comes
with a 2.4 kernel.  I am getting kind of fed up with the dependancy
problems of the woody boxes with the Red Carpet as it is just taking too
much time.  For my main workstation I am sticking with potato.  And if I
want to run something on woody like bluefish: ssh -X woodybox bluefish.

We also have been using some production potato boxes at CCIL with 2.4
kernels without the updates provided by Mr Bunk, but we compiled our own
kernels and didn't need any modules, ppp or any of the other updated stuff
on those boxes.

> Thanks.. I think I will just make the upgrade to woody.  Does anyone have
> any idea when woody might officially become stable?

Mr Bunk resigned becuase it was taking too long for woody to become stable
and the proposals he made last week about a plan for it to become stable
by June didn't seem to have any effect toward meeting that deadline.  With
the number of critical bugs still left and that bit of news, lets hope it
will be ready by the summer solstice, but don't count on it.

Mr Bunks' website says he is looking for someplace to host the 2.4 potato
support, so we will likely see it some where soon.  When I learned about
it friday when making a secuirty update to rsync, I sent Mr Bunk an email
offering to host it on CCIL.

I'll also note that the potato rsync security update is broken (broke our
backups) and this is the 3rd breakage/broken update we have experinced in
the past month or so.  The other 2 were at and imp.

Thanks,
Chuck