jbeck on Wed, 30 Jan 2002 16:24:02 -0500

[PLUG] Re: (no subject)

<SNIP>
| I believe that someone once suggested that PLUG do a fund-raiser and donate
| the money to a worthy cause of our choice, officially from PLUG, as a
| non-profit.  I believe they said this would cause PLUG to officially be
| recognized as a non profit organization.  But this hasn't happened.  PLUG
| has been rather chaotic, as far as I can tell, since its inception.
</SNIP>

Actually, I was probably the one who mentioned this. It was in the context of generating interest / marketing our group and Linux in general. I made the comment that if we were to do, say for example, an install-fest, and asked for donations of $1.00 per install, and then donated the revenue, PLUG would fall into the realm of a non-profit organization, which when combined with donating to charity, offers us the ability to get free press / publicity from local news media via coverage, publishing of press releases, etc.

-John