JP Toto on Mon, 4 Feb 2002 17:00:27 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Comcast Crackdown

I agree with Ian. I've had it (Verizon) since October
with nary a hitch. I use smoothwall which has built in
support for no-ip, dyndns, etc... It's super easy to
configure and works great on Verizon. Ok, enough of my
$0.02.

--- ian reinhart geiser <geiseri@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Monday 04 February 2002 10:51 am, you wrote about
> Re: [PLUG] Comcast
> Crackdown:
> > > FYI: My cable modem connection is no longer
> allowing remote access
> > > capabilities. No HTTP,HTTPS,SSH or email server.
> I complained and asked
> > > if there was an upgrade service which would
> allow me to have these
> > > services - neither got any results. Considering
> DSL is in the $160/month
> > > range - cable modem is still the cheapest
> alternative for high speed
> > > download combined with a dial-up for other
> remote services. yikes!
> >
> > $160? What speeds do you want, that runs you $160
> a month? Verizon
> > 1.5M/384K up  ADSL service is $80 a month. Do you
> need SDSL?
> >
> FYI: Verizon only blocks ports 80, 25 and a few
> other "popular" services.  I
> use AProxy (do a freshmeat search for it) and I put
> SSH and HTTP on 80XX so
> they work perfectly.
>
> Even though Verizon is a bunch of F*ckNozzles they
> are far less evil than
> comcast.  I have had DSL since November and not had
> any problems.... ( /me
> knocks on wood)
>
> I would recomend them for Linux use.  The only catch
> is you have to set it up
> the first time on either windows or macos.  After
> that you can use pppoe with
> no problems.
>
> Hope this helps
> 	-ian reinhart geiser
>
> - --
> :-- Ian Reinhart Geiser --:
> GPG Key: D6A6 7E16 13A9 B5A7 9E18 D1A7 3F2E B64D
> 19BC 76F8

> http://mail.yahoo.com

=====
JP Toto