Kyle R . Burton on Tue, 5 Feb 2002 02:10:14 +0100

[PLUG] vmware and XP on SMP Linux

I've been trying to get either Windows 2000 or Windows XP to install into
a vmware instance on Mandrake 8.0 SMP.  During the install, it gets to
a point where it says it can't load ntkrnlmp.exe.  I'm assumping this
is related to the fact that I'm on an smp box.

On a whim, I tried installing XP in vmware on a single processor box and it
installed just fine.  I copied over the vmware/winXPHome directorie's contents
to the SMP box and am now able to run the instance just fine.

Has anyone had any experience with SMP, vmware and Windows from which they
could offer some advice or help?

Unfortunatly the other box had a small amount of disk space, so I had to
make the primary partition 1gb.  After I moved the vmware instance to the SMP
box, I added a 2gb virtual disk.  I couldn't figure out how to expand the
original primary disk -- is there a way to do that?

Thanks in advance,
Kyle