M. Jackson Wilkinson on Tue, 5 Feb 2002 21:50:20 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Comcast Crackdown

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 08:35:44PM -0500, Paul wrote:
> "I've been moderately happy with directv dsl.
> $50/mo and no services/remote access limitations I can't live with in
> the TOS."
>
> I had DirectTV DSL when they were Telocity DSL.  They encouraged having
> servers and multiple PC's connected.  In my case, the line went down just
> about every night.  However, if they've resolved those problems, they would
> be worth reconsidering, considering the greed and games of the other
> providers.

I have DirectTV DSL at home (meaning in Bucks County, not here in Maine),
and it's been reliable enough over the last six months that I think that
I've only had to have the DSL router reset two or three times, and it was
operating flawlessly otherwise.  I definitely have not had to touch it since
well before Thanksgiving.  While there is nothing prohibited in using NAT
and running a million PC's behind the router, they do provide an optional
setup that includes both NAT and a number of additional IP addresses at an
additional cost, and has firewalling capabilities.

And I'm past the max distance to my CO, so I'm supposed to have a ton of
problems.  I suppose that I did have some substantial weather-related issues
for the first eight months (I've had this for two and a half years or so I'm
guessing, if not longer), but nothing really terrible since.

A while ago I was thinking of switching to DCA, but the motivation just
hasn't been there to go through the hassle to get a few more IP's and
controllable reverse-dns.

--
M. Jackson Wilkinson <jackw@jounce.net>
Student - Bowdoin College, Brunswick, ME