Jason on Wed, 6 Feb 2002 16:00:20 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Question regarding windows CE and dial up.....

On Saturday 02 February 2002 13H:33, you wrote:
> Maybe off topic, but I dont know anyone who works with CE lol
>
> I am trying to find a free, or very cheap internet dial-up number.  I
> have a notebook computer at home that runs Windows CE.  There is no cd,
> no drive - it uses flash memory and I can't link into the internet  to
> download anything since I have no dial-up.  Yes, it has a modem and
> there is a MSPocket version of IE Explorer so all I need is the dial up
> number.

I had a WinCE handheld (still have it rotting in a pile of old hardware). The
thing would lock up on me almost daily. That would, of course, also eat up
the battery, and anything not saved off to a compact flash card would be
lost. It would also mean redownloading apps over the slow serial connection
every time this happened. What a pain in the &*#!

I would seriously recommend not investing a lot of time into this.

However, if you (or whomever) do not wish to head this advice, read on:

You may be able to surf with your existing ISP account. You may need to
upgrade the software (depending on your ISP and the version of WinCE). To
upgrade the version of WinCE generally requires a PROM upgrade.

If you (or your "friend" - just kidding) want to download software into the
thing, you'll probably need to setup a "host PC", running Windoze of course.
Download M$ ActiveSync (it should actually be freely available from their
website) onto the "host PC". You'll probably need a special serial cable for
the darn thing. Most CE apps cannot be directly installed from the unit
itself and need to be installed onto the host, then "installed" during
synchronization with the CE unit.

I actually did some software development for WinCE on a cable set-top box.
That configuration was even more convoluted than the handheld.

There has been some great progress in getting certain flavors of BSD and
other Open Source Unix implementations running on various former WinCE
handhelds. This may be worth pursuing. My handheld has an NEC MIPS processor,
which I know runs a version of BSD. Just haven't spent the time to bother
with this.

YMMV,
-Jason