Jim Trocki on Thu, 7 Feb 2002 15:33:56 -0500

Re: [PLUG] USENET (was: Re: DCAnet (was: ... ))

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 07:10:44AM -0500, Rebecca Ore wrote:
> > It's now a dedicated T-3 running at full capacity 24/7.  Has been for about two years.
> >
> > The biggie is outgoing bandwidth since every article just comes in once, but
> > goes out many times -- to the peers and to whichever users want to download it.
>
> Has anybody bothered to do a caching-nntpd hack of INN?

well there's nntpcache, which works quite well, but it may or may not
be the right tool, depending on what you're trying to do. it's very well
suited for leaf nodes which want to offer newsgroups to multiple clients
yet don't want to waste bandwidth on an actual feed. we've been using
it for a couple years now and it's been great. it also allows us to
provide a unified "virtual" front end for multiple nntp servers which
offer different sets of groups.

http://www.nntpcache.org/

there is also something called "leafnode" but i never really
investigated it.

Jim Trocki <trockij@transmeta.com>
Computer System and Network Engineer
Transmeta Corporation