Rebecca Ore on Thu, 7 Feb 2002 17:38:29 -0500

Re: [PLUG] USENET (was: Re: DCAnet (was: ... ))

On Thu, 07 Feb 2002, Jim Trocki wrote:

> well there's nntpcache, which works quite well, but it may or may not
> be the right tool, depending on what you're trying to do. it's very well
> suited for leaf nodes which want to offer newsgroups to multiple clients
> yet don't want to waste bandwidth on an actual feed. we've been using
> it for a couple years now and it's been great. it also allows us to
> provide a unified "virtual" front end for multiple nntp servers which
> offer different sets of groups.
>
> http://www.nntpcache.org/

At least one of my users uses this.  DNews is something kinda between INN and a
nntp caching server.  Someone using DNews wanted to peer with me but a friend
said to make sure he did it as a regular news feed exchange and not as a suck
feed.  I didn't trust the guy knew how to set it up properly for that.

> there is also something called "leafnode" but i never really
> investigated it.

Doesn't seem to be under development now, if I understand correctly.

Hamster is another option (Windows only?) and then there's MyNews, which is
something else again.

> Jim Trocki <trockij@transmeta.com>
> Computer System and Network Engineer
> Transmeta Corporation