Rebecca Ore on Thu, 7 Feb 2002 18:00:54 -0500

Re: usenet (was: DCAnet (was: Re: [PLUG] Comcast Crackdown)

On Thu, 07 Feb 2002, jaw+plug@tcp4me.com wrote:

> | Jeremy Nixon and some of the other very Big New Sites have said that users
> | (which none of the local ISPs have boatloads of on broadband) take up multiples
> | of bandwidth compared to feeds, if I'm remembering the discussions correctly.
>
> a typical news-server should[1] have more bandwidth used by end-users reading
> news than the total inbound feed; but this will generally be "local" traffic,
> and not across expensive transit links.

Most of the people I read or exchange mail with are either edu* sites or NSPs.  NSPs are selling bandwidth, basically, coming and going.

Almost none of my users are local to Netaxs.  More than one of them is
connecting to me through a broadband connection.  More than one of them uses
nntp caching of some sort or another.  Thinking about it, a minority of my
users may be using dial-up.  I know of three for sure -- one in New Zealand,
one in Nevada, one in California.  I know more who have broadband connectivity.

> [1] those that count beans would say that if it wasn't more, one should
>     be outsourcing news.

Once serious news users start using the non-ISP news sites, then there's more
reason to follow those users and just outsource.

I suspect indy accounts make for slim profit margins, but they do get the
serious users off the ISP news sites, which is probably the plan.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://www.ogoense.net