Bill Jonas on Thu, 7 Feb 2002 16:01:40 -0500

Re: [PLUG] WAYYYY Off topic.... RE Windows 2k server and NAT and something of Linux Auth

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 10:26:57AM -0500, thanous@dca.net wrote:
> In any event, I posted on that thread a few times, and I have not been
> able to use Pump, or any of the default DCHP clients that come with
> linux.

Have you tried dhclient?  I have an OpenBSD 3.0 machine running
firewally/gateway duty for me and it works just fine.  In fact, since
the switchover, I no longer have to send my computer name ("cnXXXXXX-a")
to get an IP address.  (Actually, my config file now contains no
non-comment lines.)  dhclient is the default DHCP client used by OpenBSD
and it's published by the ISC (who also publish BIND).

http://www.isc.org/products/DHCP/
http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=dhclient

In Debian, it's the dhcp-client package.

Also, just a note: It was never static IP addresses; technically, it was
always DHCP.  It's just that a static configuration worked most of the
time since you (almost?) always got the same IP address each time.
Comcast probably figured that some people had static configurations
which is why they contacted everybody to let them know they needed to
have DHCP set up.  In that same vein, I've had the same IP address since
I was switched over on the 31st (barring around 12 hours of downtime (!)
a couple days ago).

Anyway, if pump and friends don't work for you, give dhclient a try.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html