Jon Galt on Thu, 7 Feb 2002 16:50:19 +0100

[PLUG] colocation

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:

> Basically, you buy, lease or rent a server, which will be physically
> located at an ISP providing the colocation service.  The ISP, at minimum,
> provides the storage space for the server, the elctricity, and an Internet
> connection.

Uhm, ok.  Thanks.  I guess that's clean and simple.

I was thinking that colo would involve some sort of coordination of
multiple servers at different topographical (and geographical) points on
the internet so as to minimize website downtime.  (In case one is down,
another can handle requests.)  I'm actually wondering how *that* works.

Thanks for the clarification on colocation.  Do you know anything about...
geographically separated redundant servers?  (Or whatever the appropriate
term is.)

Thanks,
Wayne