Arthur S. Alexion on Thu, 7 Feb 2002 16:20:21 +0100

Re: [PLUG] cheap colocation

Basically, you buy, lease or rent a server, which will be physically located at an ISP providing the colocation service. The ISP, at minimum, provides the storage space for the server, the elctricity, and an Internet connection.

From there, it varies as to what other services the ISP provides, including any degree of maintenance of your server, the type and quality of Internet connection, etc.

Contrast it with a "dedicated server" where the ISP owns your server and maintains it, or a "shared" or "virtual" server which is a partition on your ISP's server that appears on the Internet as a server.

The plans are similar, but a little and the quality of service varies greatly.

Art