Time on Thu, 7 Feb 2002 10:13:25 -0500

Re: [PLUG] WAYYYY Off topic.... RE Windows 2k server and NAT and something of Linux Auth

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 09:24:50AM -0500, thanous@dca.net wrote:
> From: thanous@dca.net
> To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
> Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 09:24:50 est
> Subject: [PLUG] WAYYYY Off topic.... RE Windows 2k server and NAT and something of Linux Auth
>
> If you dont know anything about this, please just dont respond lol
>
> I need a hand, I configured NAT to assign IP address to the machines on my network
> on the subnet of...
>
> 203.203.203.x
>
> So they can still access a linux machine WHICH they need for accounting softwear,
> file sharing, and printing.  The linux machine WAS the internet connection until
> Comcast fucked up the stuff...  I would perfer to use linux again as the internet
> connection but I dont see it happening anytime soon.

If you are refering to the Static to DHCP / IP change over that has occured recently
then all yo needed to do was acquire an updated DHCP client package for your linux gateway
which would have correctly probed Comcast's DHCP server for your new IP.

Please look through the PLUG list archives to see what was discussed in
subjects entitled: [PLUG] dhcp and comcast

http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/pubarchive/plug/

> Does anyone know how to make NAT work or have any experience with it?  I have
> read all the documation I can find online, and I got it working, BUT it doesnt
> feed a network connection and I cant figure out why.  It assigns the IP fine,
> so the client machine can access the Linux machine fine, but it will not allow
> a Internet connection to go through.
>
> I did try ICS, and it DOES work, but I cant get a ICS machine to access the
> linux machine either.  So maybe I am doing something wrong on the linux side?
>  We use facetwin (www.facetcorp.com) to build a termial connection to the accounting
> softwear.  I tried to see if there is anything in there that would lead me to
> believe that having a faulty IP address (ie one that is not within the given
> parameters) would disallow access.  No.
>
> Not sure, but I really dont want the Winblows 2k server to be the only machine
> that has access to the net, but I have been beating my head against the wall
> for the last week tryin to figure this out, and nothing.
>
> Any advice?  :)

Yes, don't use windows...

> Later
>
> Anthony