Rebecca Ore on Thu, 7 Feb 2002 17:18:30 -0500

Re: DCAnet (was: Re: [PLUG] Comcast Crackdown)

On Thu, 07 Feb 2002, multiple seriousity wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Rebecca Ore wrote:
> > It's now a dedicated T-3 running at full capacity 24/7.  Has been for
> > about two years.
> >
> > The biggie is outgoing bandwidth since every article just comes in
> > once, but goes out many times -- to the peers and to whichever users
> > want to download it.
> >
> > Total text-only is about a gig a day.
>
> Any clue how much it is, if you include ONLY the big-8, and alt? (and I
> would also include just a FEW local such as pa. and phl. etc.) it's just
> insane sometimes, when one looks and see how many foreign hierarchies are
> around, and are passed on.  I really get annoyed when I try to manage my
> groups, and groups from sweden, japan, and russia keep popping up as new
> groups... although, I haven't had a good newsfeed in a LONG time, so it's
> a moot point right now. :(

Alt.* is huge.  I just carry whatever alt.* groups a user or a peer (one of my
peers is fairly small so I give him most of his articles) wants.  Given what
I'm doing now takes about 35 kb/sec, the whole Big Eight and some would
probably be about 80 kb/sec.  I've been editing a future alt.* active list and
now am down to about 10K groups, and need to find out which of those have real
traffic.

A number of servers also list groups that they can't get feeds for (slac is a
private hieararchy for a science group, for instance).

I'm looking into doing text-only usenet -- probably for around $5 with private
hieararchies for groups of friends (min. 10?).  Don't know yet if it will fly,
but trying to will probably end me up with a full service text server.

One admin said that the Big Eight and some regionals on a eight gig system
would give about 8 days retention.

> Hmm... a gig a day? I guess I finally know a true purpose for them
> newfangled 120-gig-and-more drives. :P  <sigh> I long for the days of long
> retention.

I don't have any foreign hierarchies, only a handful of alt.* groups, gnu,
comp., news, rec, sci., and the private hiearachies, only one of which gets
much traffic.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://www.ogoense.net