Rebecca Ore on Thu, 7 Feb 2002 13:20:12 +0100

Re: DCAnet (was: Re: [PLUG] Comcast Crackdown)

On Wed, 06 Feb 2002, Bill Jonas wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 06, 2002 at 09:54:34AM -0500, Rebecca Ore wrote:
> > Thing is that NNTP servers that can't handle the full feed (now
> > running from 13 to 14.2 Gigabytes per hour on average)
>
> I seem to recall a book published a few years ago which stated that in
> order to get a full newsfeed, it required a dedicated T-1 running at
> full capacity 24/7.

It's now a dedicated T-3 running at full capacity 24/7.  Has been for about two years.

The biggie is outgoing bandwidth since every article just comes in once, but
goes out many times -- to the peers and to whichever users want to download it.

Total text-only is about a gig a day.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://www.ogoense.net