gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 5 Feb 2002 20:10:34 +0100

Re: DCAnet (was: Re: [PLUG] Comcast Crackdown)

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 01:07:22PM -0500, Andrew White wrote:
> We do have a substantial news server with binaries.
> The recycle time on articles varies by volume;
> obviously binary groups have their posts cycled more
> often as the groups take up so much space.

Heh. You'd get a lot of whinging if you axed the binaries, though I
think they should just go away the world over.

(Remember when newsfeeds took a couple of seconds to propagate
articles internationally? Well, neither do I. I'm too young. But
I know INN's capable of it, having used it on an international,
internal basis.)

> I just ran some stats, and the top two newsgroups by
> articles read are probably no surprise to any NNTP
> server admin:
>
>   #1 alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.amateur
>   #2 alt.binaries.pictures.erotica.amateur.female
>
> lol!

Your whingers would get mighty non-specific when you asked them
*why* they wanted the binaries to stay around, of course. Using a
transparent web proxy would probably also produce some fun
rankings... ;^>

It'd be fun to hear the results of floating such a proposition.
(Take a look at how much it'd save you in bandwidth costs. No,
really, go find out. I have an idea of where it'd be, since I know
how much it saved swarthmore.edu, but your numbers would probably
several orders of magnitude greater.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net