Bill Jonas on Tue, 5 Feb 2002 21:00:24 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Comcast Crackdown

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 10:39:29PM -0500, Andrew White wrote:
> To be fair, we only "officially" support the ADSL modems that Verizon
> supports -- Westell.  However, I know for a fact that many of our
> subscribers use other vendors' ADSL modems -- Linksys,
> ENI/Speedstream, Zyxel, and others.

Just a quick (couple of) questions.  I have the ENI "SpeedStream 5260
Ethernet ADSL Modem" (part number 060-5660-003) from previous ADSL
service.  (It's the black and gray unit with the rubber feet that look
like fins on one side.)  Would this one work?  (FWIW, I think I've seen
it in use at the house of a friend who subscribes to DCA.)

Assuming it works with your service and I do the splitting and filtering
myself, is this all there is to it?  Any other fees/contract length
requirements?  (The pricing page is on the other side of the CGI script
that asks for the address and phone number; please consider putting a
static HTML copy of that information in the generally-accessible area of
the site.  I've submitted the requested information a couple or more
times by this point just to comparison shop.)  Any difference between
the Verizon and Covad DSL you provide (IIRC)?  Why the PITA tying of IP
and MAC addresses (or do you still do that)?

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html