Andrew White on Mon, 4 Feb 2002 22:39:42 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Comcast Crackdown

Hi all,

To clear up the confusion, yes -- this pricing is
correct.

However, You can avoid the $219 charge for the Verizon
self-install pricing if you're willing to procure your
own splitter, line filters, and ADSL modem.

ADSL modems compatible with Verizon-style DSL can be
had for as little as $60 used, a splitter is a couple
of bucks (and is only needed if you need to share a
phone jack between the phone and the ADSL modem), and
ADSL filters (one per phone needed) run about $10 to
$15 apiece.

Just about any g.Lite-compatible ADSL modem will do
the trick.  The Verizon self-install kit includes a
Westell ADSL modem (really an ADSL-to-ethernet bridge)
as well as one line splitter and several ADSL filters.

To be fair, we only "officially" support the ADSL
modems that Verizon supports -- Westell.  However,
I know for a fact that many of our subscribers use
other vendors' ADSL modems -- Linksys,
ENI/Speedstream, Zyxel, and others.

-Andrew

p.s. Please feel free to post any questions to the
list!  We are happy to try and answer them.

Disclaimer: I work at dca.net (try "whois dca.net" :)
and my opinion most certainly is biased.