Bradley Molnar on Mon, 4 Feb 2002 22:40:49 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Comcast Crackdown

You might want to wait, verizon frequently has promotions.  We signed up for
Verizon DSL last April, I think, and got free set up, a free self
installation kit (with choice of an internal modem or an external device
that gets hooked directly to a standard ethernet card), a free logitech web
cam, and a free month of service.

Personally, I use a Lucent RG-1000 to handle the NATing of the computers,
inside there are both wired and wireless (all wired is routed through my
linux box).  There are linux machines on both wires and wireless and also
win2K machines on wires and wireless.  The only problem is what has already
been mentioned, you have to run the set up using a Windows or a mac machine.
Also, the RG-1000 needs a Windows machine for the setup.  Other than that,
it runs great.  We can't run any servers, but, don't really have an interest
in running anything.

For anyone who is wondering, no, they haven't yelled at us yet for running
up to 7 machines at one time and they have not yet blocked using a SMTP
server that is not one of theirs (there was something on slashdot about it a
while back).

-brad